More and more men are turning their attention to skin care and anti-aging, i.e. the reversal of skin aging or the rejuvenation of the skin, is often the reason for their interest.
Skin ageing is a natural process and anti-aging has two different starting points:
- Preventing or slowing down the ageing of the skin.
This is comparable to a plant that needs to be cared for so that it is preserved for as long as possible.
- To reduce signs of skin ageing that have already occurred, such as wrinkles.
Example: A pair of trousers with a tear that needs to be stitched.
The prevention and retrospective reduction of skin ageing start at fundamentally different points and, to put it simply, prevention is often better than repair.
Now that it has been clarified "what anti-aging is" and what types there are, the question remains as to when men should start using an anti-aging cream:
In terms of gender, men's skin differs from women's primarily due to a significantly higher collagen content (all the differences in men's skin here in the blog). Collagen gives men firm skin and while wrinkles already appear in women in their twenties, this usually only happens in men in their thirties - but by then they are already very pronounced. The reason for this is the continuous decline in collagen production and muscle atrophy.
--> Thus, it should be noted that anti-aging products for men that reduce the visible signs of skin aging (such as wrinkles) are recommended from the age of 30, while preventive products are useful in advance.
The following section explains how the ageing of the skin can be slowed down and how skin damage - which accelerates skin ageing - can be avoided.
Preventive care: protecting and slowing down skin ageing:
It is important to distinguish between natural, genetically-induced skin ageing and skin ageing influenced by external factors. Both types lead to the same result: wrinkles, fine lines and sagging skin. But while the natural ageing of the skin can be reduced with anti-aging creams, it is possible to prevent wrinkles caused by external influences through the right lifestyle and care.
- Sun protection is top priority: UV rays are the most common cause of wrinkles. If the skin is exposed to the sun's rays without protection, free radicals are formed and our tissue is damaged. The damage to the skin can range from wrinkles and sagging skin to hyperpigmentation and, unfortunately, even skin cancer. The aforementioned skin damage can be avoided with sustainable sun protection. It is important to reapply sun protection regularly and to be aware of UV radiation even when the sun is behind a cloud cover.
- Avoid harmful exposure: The ageing process of the skin is accelerated by harmful influences such as smoke and air pollution. Free radicals also play a leading role here: smoke and smog consist of highly reactive chemical compounds that produce free radicals. These unstable molecules damage the healthy cells of the skin in their search for electrons ready to pair up. Cigarette smoke should therefore be avoided both actively and passively. Since it is not always possible to avoid smog, it is important to regularly cleanse the face with a cleanser and use sustainable creams with antioxidants.
- Sleep and regeneration: Often belittled, the active regeneration of the body is fundamentally important for healthy skin. Conversely, a (permanent) lack of sleep can fundamentally damage the skin and lead to wrinkles and sagging skin. While we sleep, the body and brain produce melatonin, which is a miracle cure for oxidative stress. If a person does not sleep enough, this melatonin production does not take place to a sufficient extent and oxidative stress damages the skin cells. Damaged skin cells in turn lead to wrinkles, dry and sagging skin and inflammation.
Sun protection, sufficient sleep and avoiding smoke and smog are three essential tips for men to prevent premature skin ageing in the form of wrinkles. There is probably no anti-aging cream for men that is more effective than that.
To ensure that natural (unavoidable) skin ageing develops as slowly as possible, we recommend the following three anti-wrinkle tips for men.
- Strong skin barrier: A well-functioning skin barrier is the basis for every healthy skin. The skin barrier acts as protection against external influences and at the same time ensures an optimal level of moisture inside the skin. UV rays can weaken this protective layer (see above), just as excessive cleansing with aggressive ingredients can be harmful. Conversely, the right vegan ingredients can promote and strengthen the skin barrier. More on this in the next section.
- Healthy diet: A balanced diet that is rich in vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids provides the skin with important nutrients from within that are required for the skin's basic metabolism. The skincare industry often lets you forget that it is much more effective to care for the skin from the inside - through natural nutrition - than to apply active ingredients from the outside via vegan creams and lotions.
Antioxidants in the diet are also enormously helpful as they fight free radicals (see above) and can therefore prevent skin damage.
- Avoiding alcohol: There is a lot of talk about alcohol in skincare products such as vegan creams (so much so that we have written a separate article). The impact of alcohol consumption on skin health is less talked about. Alcohol removes moisture from the skin and damages the natural defense function or skin barrier. This in turn accelerates the ageing of the skin. To prevent this, it is advisable to avoid alcohol, but at the very least, care should be taken to moisturize the skin.
If men keep their skin barrier intact, ensure a balanced diet rich in vitamins and nutrients and consume alcohol with caution, natural skin ageing is happening no quicker than it must. Anti-aging is thus proactively prevented and premature wrinkling is avoided. These simple tips are definitely the best way for men to go about anti-aging.
Effective ingredients againts skin aging
If signs of skin ageing such as wrinkles or sagging skin are already visible, anti-aging creams for men often come into play. Even if skin ageing in men cannot be reversed, there are active ingredients that have been proven to at least temporarily reduce wrinkles and fine lines. At kluuf's creams, all these active ingredients are naturally vegan and sustainable, for the best skincare for men and effective anti-aging.
- How it works: Spilanthol is extracted from paracress and relaxes the muscles within the skin that are responsible for the formation of wrinkles. When said muscles relax, the wrinkles disappear and the skin appears smoother. This smoothing of the skin is a temporary effect.
- How it works: Peptides are a structural component of every protein and are usually produced synthetically for use in vegan creams. Peptides can stimulate the production of elastin and collagen, both of which are fundamentally responsible for the structure (and firmness) of the skin.
3. Hyaluronic acid:
- How it works: Hyaluronic acid, traditionally derived from rooster combs, is produced synthetically in vegan skincare. Hyaluronic acid is often used in anti-aging creams, but is also used by dermatologists, as the active ingredient not only provides moisture, but also binds this moisture in the skin. This reduces wrinkles and fine lines.
- How it works: Niacinamide - also known as vitamin B3 - stimulates collagen production, which results in a firmer skin structure. At the same time, niacinamide is said to improve the complexion of the skin, which ensures fresh-looking skin and is often referred to as anti-aging.
- How it works: The water-soluble vitamin panthenol is obtained from pantothenic acid and strengthens the skin barrier, among other things. At the same time, panthenol has wound-healing properties, preventing skin ageing caused by damage to the skin.
Note: For each of the vegan ingredients listed, there is an informative blog article with more background information and facts. To access these articles, simply click on the ingredient highlighted in bold.
Anti-Aging for men summarised
Skin ageing is a natural process and wrinkles and fine lines are nothing to be ashamed of. However, if you value smooth skin, you should establish an effective anti-aging routine:
It is important to continuously use sun protection and combine a balanced diet with restful sleep. Harmful influences such as smoke and alcohol should also be avoided.
In addition, vegan and sustainable ingredients with anti-aging properties such as vitamin C, spilanthol, hyaluronic acid and panthenol can be actively used.
On our own behalf, we would like to conclude by saying that skin ageing and the associated wrinkles are something natural and beautiful. kluuf explicitly distances itself from toxic beauty ideals and instead stands for healthy and well-groomed skin, as well as feeling good in your own skin.
kluuf's vegan and sustainable skincare for men does not have a separate anti-aging cream, as kluuf's products are all equipped with active ingredients that slow down skin aging and at the same time strengthen the skin barrier and stimulate renewal. All-natural anti-aging with kluuf's sustainable skincare routine for men.